After cleaning your carpets, you should take some precautionary measures to prevent your carpet from smelling bad and you should avoid some things. Also, when a carpet gets wet and does not get cleaned then musty smells can happen. Any mishappening in these will cause musty smells in your carpets. In this blog, you will read everything about musty smells and how to get rid of them.
Reasons For Bad Smelling Of Your Carpet
Carpet becomes wet due to absorption of large amounts of water which does not remove during drying and smells bad. But there are several reasons for worse smelling of your carpet and they are explained as:
- If you clean your carpet and after washing and drying it remains wet and does not dry completely then it smells bad.
- Wet carpet is the growing and breeding ground for several moulds and mildews, through which a musty smell spreads and covers the whole room and even the entire house.
- This smell is going to be worse when the carpet stays wet for a very long time.
- When urine is left on your carpet then it dries and generates musty smells.
- If you are a smoker then your carpet absorbs all the smell of cigarettes and smells very badly.
- After a long time of using your carpet, it gets old and so its fibres greeks down which generates a musty smell.
- When food and drink spill on the carpet then these are the organic products that attract bacteria which release several gases that smell very badly.
What Should You Avoid When Your Carpet Smells Badly?
Here are some directions which help you to understand the things to be avoided.
- You should avoid placing the legs of your furniture on wet carpets with a bad smell because it creates an environment that favours the growth of moulds and mildews in furniture also.
- Do not walk on the wet carpet because this carpet spreads a larger amount of smell which you cannot ignore.
- You should avoid sitting in a room where smelly carpet exists because it generates the risk of getting infested by moulds.
- Do not close the room and set up ventilation in that room through which smells decrease to some extent.
Various Types Of Odours Which You Can Smell From Your Carpet
Your carpet should be such that it provides you freshness and comfort but if it shows a bad odour then your mood will get destroyed. Generally, there are 2 types of odour that you smell from a carpet. These are:
- Due to moisture
If your carpet is flooded with water or after cleaning and drying if your carpet remains wet. This smell becomes musty when the humidity of your carpet increases. So, remove moisture as soon as possible to make your carpet fresh.
- Due to pets and kids
When you have pets and kids in your home then urine and their excretory waste is a common problem. This smell can be removed by hiring professional cleaners only.
Types Of Carpets Having Tendency To Absorb Odours
The fabrics of carpets are different and so some fabrics can absorb odours very quickly while some are late. So, the following are some of the fabrics which show such behaviours:
- Nylon: It is the most durable fabric and helps in stain-resistant and does not hold odour quickly.
- Olefin: It has moisture-resistant and mould-resistant properties and is more suitable for use in the areas where sunlight is present. Due to mould resistance and resistance to water, it also has odour resistance properties and can be used in damp areas also.
- Polyester: They are well used in low-traffic areas as they lose their texture and wear down quickly in high-traffic areas. As they are least resistant to mould so they may hold odour very quickly and for a very long time.
- Wool: It is durable in high-traffic areas without wear and tear. As they can be easily prone to mould and mildew in damp areas and so they can easily absorb odours and smells bad.
How To Get Rid Of Musty Odours Out Of Your Carpet?
You cannot ignore the musty smell coming out of the carpet, although you tried a lot. It is not only a smell but it is an indication that something went wrong with your carpet and you have to take strict action against it. That is why here some of the steps and methods are suggested to you to remove the musty odour from the carpet:
- Dry that area
If your carpet is flooded or after cleaning if it does not get dry, then dry that particular area with several methods and you will notice that bad odour is removed after drying.
After complete drying, that area must be properly vacuumed to remove all the debris which can release odour. In this way, bad odour is removed.
- Vinegar water mixture application
It is mainly for removing mould and mildews from the carpet which also eliminates bad odour. For this, 1 cup of vinegar is used with 2 cups of water and spray this mixture over the carpet.
- Baking soda
Spread some amount of baking soda over the carpet which kills mould, deodorises your carpet and does not affect your carpet in any way.
- Hydrogen peroxide
You can also apply a mixture of 1 part of hydrogen peroxide to 5 parts of water to get rid of the musty smell.
- Invite professionals
If you do not get the desired results then immediately call professionals.
For #1 Services: Get In Touch With Experts
If you are not going to ignore the bad smell anymore and all the hard work gets wasted, then do not lose hope as Professional Carpet Cleaners are your final destination, from them you will get what you want. Talented and experienced professionals will give you #1 service. You can get relief from all types of odours within a very short period with the help of experts.